Administer the Survey
The CHKS (CSCS/CSPS) survey administration procedures are based on over twenty years of experience in school-based survey research and have been designed to minimize the burden on staff in planning and conducting the survey. To begin the process, contact your Regional Survey Center to schedule a date; determine whether to use paper surveys with answer sheets or the web-based version, discuss your survey content and any special needs you may have (e.g., use of supplementary or custom modules, or expanding the sample), and whether to use active or passive parental consent; and then complete the Memorandum of Understanding with CDE. Step-by-step guidelines are provided in the Survey Guidebook, which should be thoroughly reviewed before proceeding. In addition, the following materials, forms, and tools are available:
© 2015 WestEd. All rights reserved.
730 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Toll free 888.841.7536 | Fax 415.565.3012
News & Highlights
- Assessing School Climate (pdf) describes the value enhancing changes made to the CHKS and CSCS for assessing school climate.
- Using Cal-SCHLS to Assess Social Emotional Learning & Health (pdf). The Social Emotional Health Module (SEHM) boosts the value of the CHKS as a strengths-based assessment of positive emotions, engagement, and other social-emotional capacities linked to student mental health and well-being, academic success, and career and college readiness.
- CHKS 13-14 Revision Summary (pdf). WestEd and the CA Department of Education announce the most extensive revision of the Healthy Kids Survey (HKS) since its launch in 1998. Changes include a shortened Core Module with more focus on school climate and culture, an expanded School Climate Module, and a new Social Emotional Health Module.
- CHKS Funding Opportunity (pdf). Funding from California Health Care Services is available to cover the costs of CHKS district administration for districts that have at least one secondary school participating in the representative sample for the 2013-2014 Biennial CHKS. Download the list of Biennial Statewide CHKS sample schools and the survey incentives offered.
- Helpful Resources for Local Control and Accountability Plans and School Safety Plans (pdf). Learn how the CHKS — along with its companion school staff and parent surveys — is an invaluable resource to CA schools for developing, monitoring, and evaluating their Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) and Comprehensive School Safety Plan, as required by state legislation.
- Tom Torlakson Urges LEA Participation in the CHKS. In a letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators, the Superintendent of Public Instruction encourages CHKS participation to support school climate improvement.
- The Case for Continuing CHKS. This Prevention Tactics publication discusses the benefits of continued CHKS administration. It describes how the decline in CHKS participation stymies prevention efforts throughout California, and provides stakeholder strategies for fiscal, administrative, and community support.