Create Your Own Module
Sample Custom Questions by Topic:
- After School Activities
- AOD (Alcohol & Other Drugs)
- Depression, Suicide, Mental Health
- Gang Prevention
- Health Care Access
- Parent-School Involvement
- Physical Health (Physical Activity/Nutrition)
- Prevention Programs
- School Activities/Programs
- Sexual Behavior
Customize Your Survey
In order to better meet the unique needs of your LEA, we have designed the CHKS for easy customization. We offer three ways to create a survey that is specifically tailored to address the issues and circumstances facing your students. In addition to the core questions on the CHKS, you can:
- select an existing Supplementary CHKS Module or Modules;
- create a custom module by adding questions you develop; or
- combine individual questions from the Supplementary Modules that are especially relevant to your school’s special needs (for examples, see categories listed above).
Questions can refer to a topic, a program (for evaluation purposes) or, in fact, almost anything about which additional information is needed. It's a simple way to get targeted, useful data on something unique to your school or district. The CHKS Administration Guidebook (pdf) provides ideas for customization.
Tips on creating a custom module
- Custom modules cannot be longer than 42 questions. To keep the survey length appropriate, we recommend that you add no more than 20 additional questions.
- Students can only select one answer per question. "Mark all answers that apply" type questions are not allowed.
- Avoid using the word "or" and do not use "etc." after e.g. or i.e.
- Adjust the wording to suit the grade level.
For information about costs and services please contact us.
Browse the categories above for a current list of questions that schools have already developed.
© 2013 WestEd. All rights reserved.
730 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Toll free 888.493.7833 | Fax 415.565.3012