While determining which type of consent to use when surveying, keep in mind:
- You must have a school board policy in place regardless of the type of consent you use.
- Active Consent must be used for grades K-6.
- Passive Consent can be used for grades 7-12 in accordance with your school board’s policy.
- To determine if you can use passive consent, read Guidelines for Passive Consent (pdf).
- Using Passive Consent can dramatically increase your response rates.
- The Parental Consent Requirements and the California Healthy Kids Survey (pdf). The February 11, 2004 letter from Jack O’Connell (State Superintendent of Public Instruction).
- For tips on increasing consent returns, read our Tips for Raising Participation Flyer (pdf).
- Examples of school board policy regarding active or passive consent can often be found by contacting your County Office of Education.
Districts administering the California Healthy Kids Survey are required to obtain parental consent. This can be done through two methods, active or passive consent. To assist we have included an Introductory Letter that can be sent out along with the Parental Consents to help parents/guardians fully understand the surveys purpose and value. For additional information about the appropriate use of active versus passive consents, read Guidelines for Passive Consent (pdf).
Please note: Beginning in 2009-10 we created specific consents for each grade range – elementary, middle, and high. Please select the appropriate grade range in active or passive consents for your schools.
Active Consent Only
Under active consent a permission form is sent home with students. Parents/guardians must return the form in order to give their permission.
Middle Schools and High Schools
Under passive consent a form is sent home with students notifying parents about the survey. Parents/guardians return the form only if they do not wish for their child to participate.
- Passive Middle School Consent (English) (doc)
- Passive Middle School Consent (Spanish) (doc)
- Passive High School Consent (English) (doc)
- Passive High School Consent (Spanish) (doc)
Need other translations?
CDE has had the Introductory Letter and the Parental Consents for Active and Passive translated into various languages.
- Available Translations of the CHKS Passive Introductory Letter
- Available Translations of the CHKS Passive Consent (Middle School)
- Available Translations of the CHKS Passive Consent (High School)