In his 2008 State of Education address, former State Superintendent of Public Instruction, Jack O’Connell, announced that Closing The Achievement Gap (CTAG) was the California Department of Education’s top priority, and directed that questions related to racial and cultural issues be added to the California Healthy Kids Survey (CHKS) and its companion California School Staff Survey (CSSS). CDE funded an expansion of the reporting system and materials to support the CTAG Initiative and improve the data on school culture and climate, especially in regard to subgroups that may be disaffected.
The following additional reports and resource tools are provided:
- A supplementary CTAG survey module was developed to provide better data on issues related to race, ethnicity, and culture within the school.
- District CHKS Main Reports were expanded to include tables that provide the results for key questions by racial/ethnic groupings of students. A reporting system was also developed to provide all the CHKS results as reported by eight racial/ethnic groups. These CTAG reports may be requested by districts as a custom service.
- A series of analyses of the statewide data collected from all districts was funded to shed light on how survey results vary among students and schools by race/ethnicity. Summaries of these findings are available in CHKS Factsheets #13 and #14.
- A Workbook for Improving School Climate and Closing the Achievement Gap (pdf) was developed to help schools use their survey data to better meet the needs of different racial/ethnic groups, special education students, and migrant education students. Download the Workbook Sections:
Secondary (Upper Grades) CTAG Reports, disaggregated by race/ethnicity of student enrollment
- CHKS, Grade 7, 9 & 11 CTAG Report, 2008-2010, Statewide (pdf) New! (inlcudes the first report of the CTAG Module results)
- CHKS, Grade 7 CTAG Report, 2007-2009, Statewide (pdf)
- CHKS, Grade 7 CTAG Report, 2006-2008, Statewide (pdf)
- CHKS, Grades 9 & 11 CTAG Report, 2007-2009, Statewide (pdf)
- CHKS, Grades 9 & 11 CTAG Report, 2006-2008, Statewide (pdf)