Training & Support
Use of the CHKS is supported by a wide range of training materials and other resources for presenting your data. The survey’s administration instructions, workshops, guidebooks, workbooks, and presentations are described and posted below for downloading. See other publications that describe the survey or survey results.
Guidebooks for the California Healthy Kids Survey
The three-part Guidebook for the California Healthy Kids Survey is the how-to guide for planning, administering, and reporting the survey. Companion guidebooks are also available for the School Climate Survey for teachers and other staff.
- Part I: Administration, 2014-2015 Edition (pdf) - Coming Soon! Available 8/4. Part I provides detailed instruction on all aspects of administering the survey in California, along with ready-to-use support materials and tools. It serves as a step-by-step guide to the tasks that need to be performed, and contains an overview of the survey’s purpose, its content and format, its requirements, the reporting process and fees, and the procedures for maintaining data confidentiality.
- Part II: Survey Content, 2014-2015 Edition (pdf) - Coming Soon! Available 8/4. Designed to be used along with the tables in the Main Report, this guidebook discusses the significance of each question in the survey by topic, including why it is asked, what research tells us about it, and what the program implications of the results might be. The Survey Content Guidebook is divided into the following three sections, each available as a separate download.
- Part III: Data Use and Dissemination, 2014-2015 Edition (pdf) - Coming Soon! Available 8/4. Part II is designed to help local practitioners and policy makers get the most out of the rich data contained within each CHKS report. It will assist schools in: (a) understanding their results; (b) assessing their results; and (c) deriving the maximum benefit from their data. It provides a basic road map that can lead you from the beginning of the data-use process (reviewing your report and assessing your data) to the end (using data to make programmatic decisions).
Guidebooks for the Cal-SCHLS
The following guidebooks provide integrated administration instructions for the student (CHKS), staff (CSCS), and parent (CSPS) surveys. The guidebooks provide descriptions of the tasks common to all three surveys as well as more detailed instructions for the student survey (including sampling, parent consent, etc.).
For California Schools and Districts
Guidebook to the California School Climate, Health, & Learning Surveys, 2014-2015 Edition (pdf) - Coming Soon! Available 8/4
For Schools and Districts Outside of California
Guidebook to the Healthy Kids School Climate Surveys, 2014-2015 Edition (pdf) - Coming Soon! Available 8/4
Companion guidebooks are also available for the California School Climate Survey for teachers and other staff.
Survey specialists provide on-call consultation in all aspects of survey implementation and use through the Cal-SCHLS toll-free Helpline. Supporting this service is a comprehensive database that includes profiles for every school district conducting the survey, monitors their survey needs and issues, and tracks the services provided.
Cal-SCHLS System Regional Centers
Three Cal-SCHLS Regional Centers provide technical assistance based on localized knowledge. Calls placed to the survey Helpline (888.841.7563) are automatically directed to the school district's own Regional Center. Visit Contact Us for a listing of staff in each center.
Expert Consultant Pool
Non-grantee schools may obtain additional assistance by contacting a school climate consultant.
© 2014 WestEd. All rights reserved.
730 Harrison Street, San Francisco, CA 94107 | Toll free 877.493.7833 | Fax 415.565.3012
News & Highlights
- New! Assessing School Climate (pdf) describes the changes made to the CHKS and CSCS that enhance their value for assessing school climate.
- Using Cal-SCHLS to Assess Social-emotional Learning and Health (pdf).The Social Emotional Health Module (SEHM) greatly enhances the value of the CHKS as a strength-based assessment of positive emotions, engagement, ability to build and maintain relationships, and other social-emotional capacities linked to student mental health and well-being, as well as academic success and career and college readiness.
- CHKS 13-14 Revision Summary (pdf). WestEd and the California Department of Education announce the most extensive revision of the Healthy Kids Survey (HKS) since its launch in 1998. Among the changes are a shorten Core Module with more focus on school climate and culture, an expanded School Climate Module, and a new Social Emotional Health Module.
- CHKS Funding Opportunity (pdf). Funding from California Health Care Services is available to cover the costs of CHKS district administration for districts that have at least one secondary school participating in the representative sample for the 2013-2014 Biennial CHKS. Participation involves adding the CHKS Supplemental AOD Module for the Biennial sample schools. Download the list of Biennial Statewide CHKS sample schools and the survey incentives offered.
- Helpful Resources for Local Control and Accountability Plans and School Safety Plans (pdf). Learn how the CHKS — along with its companion school staff and parent surveys — is an invaluable resource to CA schools for developing, monitoring, and evaluating their Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) and comprehensive School Safety Plan, as required by state legislation.
- Tom Torlakson Urges LEA Participation in the CHKS. In a letter to County and District Superintendents and Charter School Administrators, Superintendent of Public Instruction, Tom Torlakson, encourages CHKS participation to support school climate improvement.
- The Case for Continuing CHKS. A new Prevention Tactics publication on the benefits of continued CHKS administration is available for download. It discusses how the decline in CHKS participation stymies prevention efforts throughout California. Stakeholder strategies to ensure fiscal, administrative, and community support are provided.